Clementi: Introduction

11 June 2007

Abstract
Clementi District is located in the West Region; and the district comprises Clementi New Town, Clementi Park Estate, Faber Hills Estate, Hong Leong Gardens Estate, Pandan Light Industrial Estate, Toh Tuck Industrial Estate and the undeveloped Clementi Forest.

Clementi is developed in 1974 as the 7th New Town of Singapore.

Toponymics
Clementi is named after Sir Cecil Clementi Smith, Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner during the period 1887-1893. He was an accomplished Chinese scholar who spent most of his career in the East. He was so well liked that when he left Singapore in 1893, the Chinese community petitioned for his continuation as Governor for another term.

However, maps as late as the 1920s show that what is now Clementi Road was named Reformatory Road. It is therefore probable that Clementi Road was actually named after Sir Cecil Clementi, who was Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1930-1933. Sir Cecil Clementi had previously served as Governor of Hong Kong and instigated the construction of Kallang Airport. It is believed that both governors are not related despite their intriguingly similar names.

Statistics
English Name: Clementi
Chinese Name: 金文泰
Year of urban development: 1974
Total Area: 940 hectares
Neighbourhoods: 14
Population: 91,700
Region: West Region
Heritage Road Corridor: Pasir Panjang
Postal District:
0512 (Clementi New Town, Faber Hills Estate, Hong Leong Garden Estate & Pandan Light Industrial Estate)
2159 (Clementi Park Estate, Clementi Forest & Toh Tuck Industrial Estate)

Transport
MRT:
EW23 Clementi

Expressway:
Pan Island Expressway (PIE)
Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE)

Bus Interchange:
Clementi Bus Interchange

Labels:

Clementi: Introduction   © 文彬 2004~2012. All rights reserved.