SINGAPORE STREET DIRECTORY

11 December 2006

Time flies... I just notice that I have been reading my favourite book, the "SINGAPORE STREET DIRECTORY" for more than 12 years...

On a humid August night of 1994, then still a primary 3 student, I casually flip through my father's newly-bought 17th edition. I got curious over those various symbols and colour coding and start exploring it. I ask my father many questions about the book and how an area looks like in reality. Through the process, I fell in love with the book. I'm so obsess that this 17th edition becomes my procession.

From then onwards, I start collecting all edition published and related map product. The announcement for the building of NEL also makes me update my knowledge of the local geography scene through various sources like newspaper and references book from the library. These books also cultivate my everlasting love for geography, making it a goal for me to take geography as an 'O' level subject. True enough, I scored straight As for all Social Studies & Geography test and exam (except sec 4 mid-year) with 98 as the highest score.

From primary 4, I started photocopy pages of vacant land to draw up a new town of the future. Such areas include Tampines N6, N4, N8 & N9 extension, Hong Kah, Seletar, Lim Chu Kang & Mandai. I can even draw these towns when my mother gave me spelling, curving the words into apartment blocks…

However it's a really big shame for me to throw away this memorable edition, but I have not given up hope of being able to find it one day somewhere in my house and realise I didn't throw it away...

Currently, with a mini collection of 5 editions (including 17th), these books have (in their lifespan) really integrate much into my everyday life...be it happy or sad moments, fall sick, going out, eating, bored, destress, exploring......

I would like to thank all 5 editions for what they did to my life... and I will always treasure (for 17th edition will be remembering) them... always...

Really anticipating the way overdue 22nd edition to be release...


My mini collection of "SINGAPORE STREET DIRECTORY"

(first published on 11 December 2006 at 文彬ノサイキン)

SINGAPORE STREET DIRECTORY   © 文彬 2004~2018. All rights reserved.