Ang Mo Kio: Introduction

11 May 2007

Abstract
Ang Mo Kio District is located in the North Region; and the district comprises Ang Mo Kio New Town, Sembawang Hills Estate, Lentor Estate, Yio Chu Kang Estate and Seletar Hills Estate.

Ang Mo Kio is developed in 1973 as the 6th New Town of Singapore. It is the first new town to be designed in metric dimensions.

Toponymics
Ang Mo Kio; meaning "red hair bridge" was derived from the bridge carrying Thomson Road over Kallang River. The bridge was built by the "Ang Mo", referring to J.T. Thomson who was the government surveyor during the period 1841-1854. He was credited for having prepared a fully annotated Singapore map in 1843. It was probably due to his preference for the name "Ang Mo Kio" on learning what the Chinese called the bridge that he named the district after it.

Statistics
English Name: Ang Mo Kio
Chinese Name: 宏茂桥
Year of urban development: 1973
Total Area: 1,700 hectares
Neighbourhoods: 13
Population: 190,700
Region: North Region
Heritage Road Corridor: Thomson
Postal District:
2056 (Ang Mo Kio New Town)
2057 (Sembawang Hills Estate)
2678 (Lentor Estate)
2880 (Seletar Hills Estate & Yio Chu Kang Estate)

Transport
MRT:
NS15 Yio Chu Kang
NS16 Ang Mo Kio

Expressway:
Central Expressway (CTE)
Seletar Expressway (SLE)
North – South Expressway (NSE) (under construction)

Bus Interchange:
Ang Mo Kio Bus Interchange
Ang Mo Kio Depot Bus Terminal
Yio Chu Kang Bus Terminal

Labels:

Ang Mo Kio: Introduction   © 文彬 2004~2012. All rights reserved.