Kent Ridge Park

11 December 2006

Kent Ridge is named after Princess Marina, the Duchess of Kent, and is part of the Southern Ridge. The Gap is the saddle near Marina Hill, which separates North and South Buona Vista Roads. Buona Vista, which means beautiful view in Italian, gets its name from the panoramic view at The Gap, where residents watch sunset towards the southern islands. South Buona Vista Road, due to its steep and twisty turns is the scene of timed car and motorcycle races known as "hill climbs" in post-war years.

Bukit Chandu (Opium Hill) is the site where the 1st and 2nd Battalion of the Malay Regiment along with some British, Australian and New Zealander reinforcements, defended Singapore at the Battle of Pasir Panjang (1942). A World War II Interpretative Centre, Reflections At Bukit Chandu, is set up to reflect upon the deeds of these soldiers who valued honour and strength of character above their own lives.

Labels:

Kent Ridge Park   © 文彬 2004~2012. All rights reserved.